There are many skills required to refinish furniture. To fix damaged furniture, you need to be skilled in carpentry. This includes removing stuck drawers and resetting legs. Refinishing is the process of removing paint or other finishes, sanding and then applying paint or stain. Reupholstering is the process of replacing or recovering fabric-covered items. Some furniture pieces may require all three tasks, while others only need one or two.
You can make a living as a furniture refinishing entrepreneur and fix items at your home or on-site if you have the space and equipment. You can also find furniture that needs some TLC and refinish it before selling it.
Must Read: risky business costume
The Advantages of a Furniture Refinishing Company
- Starting a furniture refinishing company has many advantages.
- Working with your hands can help you earn a home-based living.
- It is possible to build a client base by working with antique lovers who are open to custom refinishing.
- You can set your own hours, no matter if it’s after work, part-time, or around your job.
- A home workshop saves you the cost of renting a shopfront or workshop.
- Your startup costs can be reduced if you have the space and equipment necessary to refinish furniture.
- Advantages of a Furniture Refinishing Company
- There are some downsides to opening a furniture refinishing company, such as:
- It takes time to build a client base.
Some parts of the country can face stiff competition.
Pricing services can be difficult because you have to calculate the cost of materials, the time required, and overhead. Each item will have a different level of need so you’ll need to give each one an individual estimate.
Never Miss: steel business solutions
- Furniture repair can be lonely
There are some aspects of furniture repair that can be hazardous, like toxic stripping agents. To avoid any injury or illness, you’ll need to take all safety precautions.
- How to get started
Home-based furniture businesses require many of the same tasks and some skills as other businesses, but furniture repair requires a few additional skills.
Experience in furniture restoration is a must. Although you can start if you are a hobbyist, you will need to be able understand the construction of furniture and the history of furniture. This is especially important if you want to work with antiques.
You should check the local zoning laws if you intend to renovate furniture in your home. If necessary, you can obtain a waiver. You may not be allowed to operate your business in a residential area because furniture work can cause extra noise and fumes.
Visit the website of the local Chamber of Commerce to see the list of all registered businesses. You can search for furniture refinishers in your area from its website.
Also Read: nunya business
- You may also need to start a business early.
Select a name for your business and the right business structure.
Get a business license in your locality or county. You can often apply online for a license through the website of your locality.
- If you don’t already have an accountant, set up your bookkeeping.
- Purchase refinishing supplies and equipment, including strippers or sanding instruments that you don’t have.
- To avoid inhaling harmful chemical fumes, create a well-ventilated area and use safety equipment.
Marketing your Refinishing Business
Photograph professional before-and after photos of any work done. This is true regardless of whether it was on your furniture or on cheap test pieces that you bought at a flea or garage sale. Your skills should be highlighted by dramatic improvements.
To promote your business, create marketing materials, such as business cards and vehicle signage. Start networking to establish relationships with antique dealers, flea market organizers, and collectors in order to spread the word about you services and encourage repeat business.